Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake, Bread and Clouds

Back in New York City after a week of sitting, low to the ground much of the time, and not much moving, the outside heat of Dallas just dragging me down even further.  In reality, though, it was a time of love, of family, of support, of memory and of pride.  Loss of a parent.  Words don't come to me yet to write much about that now, and so I won't, yet.

But I needed to move today, in a big way.  So, I walked, probably 3 hours of walking all over town.  Apparently, I walked right through the East Coast Earthquake.  It's so strange to start to realize something is going on around you as you try to figure it all out from the signals you try to pick up with all the senses.  The first thing was all the people - why were there so many people huddled together just outside office buildings, not just one, but many?  Why are all those people staring into their cellphones?  And then the stray word pops by:  "feel it?"  "earthquake"  "Virginia."
New Yorkers appreciate something novel for about 10 minutes.  Then, it's back to the same old, same old.  I kept walking.  I got hungry.  I was on Ninth Avenue, which is such fun all the way up from the 30s through the 50s for its array of food stores and restaurants of every cuisine.  Amy's Bread caught my eye.
It was tough to choose just one.  And many other earthquake walkers must have felt the same way, as there was a wait.

But it was a beautiful day, with blue skies and white puffy clouds and 77 degrees.  We don't usually have much sky to enjoy here in NYC, because of all our big buildings blocking it.  Today, however, I made a point of looking up, a lot, drawn to the stark contrast of the crisp white and the bright blue.
Besides, the sky is sometimes a great place to look to find your memories and the kindest thoughts of those you love.



No comments:

Post a Comment