Sunday, August 14, 2011

Last Word on China (this time around)

Now just about a week since I've been home, and still battling a bad case of jet lag,  my son found me sprawled out, face down, on my bed yesterday afternoon and shared the comment, "nice look, Mom" as he blew past.  That pretty much sums up how I've been doing most afternoons.  Nonetheless, no regrets.  Travel is amazing, and as long as I can do it, I'm doing it.

As for that last word on China (this time around), it's hard to stop talking about it; I have many more indelible impressions to write about, but I'm back home now - late summer in New York, one of my favorite times of year here, quiet with the exodus of my fellow New Yorkers, the slower, steamy pace of life, and the joy, wonder and confusion at times visible on the faces of international visitors in all pockets of the city.  

The sign above at the Summer Palace in Beijing says a whole lot more (to me, anyway) than it intends.  

Ça suffit.

No comments:

Post a Comment