Tuesday, June 21, 2011

le subjonctif


So, I'm just minding my own business, trying like hell to study the French subjunctive "mood"  (not a tense, oh no).  Anyway, I get to this line in the grammar book - 
"On utilise l'indicatif après les verbes "de la tête" (penser, supposer, etc.) et le subjonctif après les verbes "du coeur" (désirer, souhaiter, craindre, etc.)."   
This basically indicates that there's a difference in how one expresses verbs "of the head" and verbs "of the heart."
Can you even imagine an English grammar teacher or book making such a distinction, with a straight face?
I just adore these little cultural differences I learn (which really aren't so little) as I torture myself with French grammar.  Makes it all worthwhile.
(Or maybe I'll just use The Subjunctivator!!  I'll definitely be Bookmarking that link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment