Thursday, April 28, 2011

Come Hungry

... to Chelsea Market, that is.  In another of those "I can't believe I've never been here!" moments I keep posting over and over (there's a sad trend here), there is Chelsea Market.  The other day, I decided to get over to The High Line, quick!, while we were experiencing that rare, elusive thing called a spring day (that I've also been posting about too much).  I walked through Chelsea en route from the #1 train at 18th Street, and all of a sudden found all these people walking into this ENORMOUS building on Ninth Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets. 

The building's main hallway runs the entire length of the block between Ninth and Tenth Avenues!  It was the home of the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco), in which Premium Saltines, Fig Newtons, Mallomars, Oreos, Animal Crackers and other childhood favorites were produced.  As Chelsea Market, the building now houses dozens of retail and baking establishments, restaurants and food stores, utilizing all that open space to maximum effect.  Read more about the building's fascinating history here.  It's not just a place to grab a bite, or two, or three, to carry up to The High Line (or to dine in or take home, if you prefer), but also to wander and take in an interesting bit of New York industrial history.

My pictures can tell you more (and better) than my words today, but suffice it to say that Chelsea Market and the High Line are a great combo...


No comments:

Post a Comment